Saturday, February 10, 2007

Winter Doldrums Part II

As I sit at my computer making my normal rounds, I had Sportscenter on in the background. There was a time when the show was a thirty minute, compact program where some games received little or no attention. To rectify the matter, ESPN decided some time ago to make the move to a full hour long program. On a regular day, this is a non-issue. There are thousands of games and stories worth covering where some good stuff still gets cut. Throw in ESPN's ability to take the last half hour and turn it into a roundtable where various "experts" make predictions and offer analysis, and 60 minutes of show is a breeze to fill. In an extreme example such as the day after baseball's All-Star Game there are no major sporting events, so ESPN went so far as to create their own to cover in the ESPY Awards Show.

Yet, due to what I am deeming the winter sports doldrums, this morning's programming was iffy at best. For the first time that I can remember, but I preface this with my ability to pretend that auto racing does exist at all, there was a round table discussion to cover NASCAR. Seriously?

After a commercial break, Sportscenter returned with an ESPN Deportes update. ESPN Deportes? Why do I need the Spanish language version of the show to jump in and offer programming? Is it a diversification program that will eventually lead to Swaziland and Nepal getting airtime?

The ESPN Deportes break, by the way, offered soccer and boxing highlights. Ugh.

Even as I typed that last line, Sportscenter returned from another commercial witht he U.S. Army Teamwork Play of the Week. It so happened to be Devin Hester's opening kickoff return for a touchdown in the Super Bowl. Basically, we are now retreading highlights from 6 days ago to fill the hour. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind some old highlights, I just like it when they pretend to try and dress it up in a better package like a Top 10 List. Or better yet they make an entire special as in Sportscenter's 30,000 episode that is going to air Sunday night so that the whole show is composed of retread highlights, and I'm actually looking forward to that.

5 comments:

JR said...

And what's wrong with Top 10 lists?

Eli said...

Drew, you missed a highly entertaining Bulls-Warriors game last night. GS won 123-121 in overtime, and probably 70 percent of the points were scored in transition. Very fun to watch.

My assignment for you is to watch the Suns and Bulls Sunday night on ESPN. You're going to see a ton of fast breaks, but also two teams that play pretty good defense.

Also, check out this YouTube Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNM0faewc8I

That's Dwight Howard, throwing down a game winning dunk off a 40-foot SIDELINE ALLEY OOP PASS with 0.8 seconds left.

That stuff would never, ever happen in college basketball. I love the NBA.

And no, I'm not giving up this quest.

lonewolf said...

I have no problem with Top 10 lists. I was merely saying that if we rehash highlights, I like it if they put forth some effort into making it a package as opposed to the corporately sponsored one play.

I did see that Dwight Howard alley oop to win and it was mighty impressive. Just for you, Eli, I will watch at least some of the ESPN Sunday night game. Granted I work and it will involve me taping it to watch on my day off, I will. And then I will probably write about it.

Eli said...

Great. Now I'm nervous.

lonewolf said...

You should be. I've had 1 day off in the last 14, so days off are very cherished. It would be damning if I were to waste it on something unworthy of my time.

Not to heap it on or anything.