Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Quest for the Perfect Bracket

I have no clue. As much as I enjoy college basketball and filling out a bracket, it's done every year with no skill or reason. Everyone seems to have their "rules." Can't pick all #1 seeds to make the Final Four. Have to pick a 12 over 5. Blah, blah, blah. No one has a stinking clue what's going to happen, which is what makes this tournament so beautiful.

Every year I pick Duke to win everything. That takes away the sting and angst of trying to figure out who the best team is. There's just one problem. Duke is terrible this year. They lost in the first round of the ACC tournament, and they are all so awfully young. So, this year I decided to broaden my horizons and do the unthinkable. I'm not picking Duke to win it all. Sweet 16 sure, but not everything.

I looked over all the teams and came to the conclusion that I don't like any of them to win it all. Kansas and Florida are sexy picks, but that's exactly why I can't go with them. Texas A+M and Georgetown are the non-#1 seeds that seem to be getting a lot of buzz, but that's also why I can't pick them.

So in the end I decided to not venture too far from home and not do anything too daring. I went with a school not far from Duke and not particularly low in the seedings. I went UNC. They are the "quietest" #1 seed, and they do play in the much loved ACC.

To have the perfect bracket, then, I need a few things to happen. North Carolina has to go crazy. Kansas has to be out before the third round. Long Beach State needs to become a household name. And finally, and most importantly, Washington State needs to win 100-0, Thursday afternoon in Sacramento.

No comments: