Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Major Announcement: I'm not smart enough

When I began this blog, I was unsure of the direction it would take or even how long it would last. The last six months have been most pleasurable as I have eagerly looked forward to writing a daily post. I still do, except now I'm not smart enough.

Today is my first day of school. I have enrolled at the University of Phoenix (Arizona rocks!) in pursuit of my Masters in Business Administration. The completely on-line classwork will allow me to continue my full time work at Walgreens while simultaneously striving toward my future degree. Unfortunately, I probably will not make the football team.

What I hope to achieve is an end to working Christmases, Thanksgivings, Labor Days, and two out of three weekends. Walgreens has been very good to me, but the nature of the retail beast is it's shitty hours. I have not decided what I will do post MBA; it may or may not include Walgreens. What I want, though, is a light at the end of the tunnel, something at the end of which I can either take my education elsewhere for better hours and pay, or new doors to open within my current company. In today's competitive business world, I do not think I seek too much.

However, this announcement and development will require some sacrifice. 45-50 hours of week at work will slowly mold into 60 as we approach another retail, holiday season, and now with a full-time slate of classwork, some things will not make the cut. Sadly, what this leads into is this blog. It's not going away or dying. It merely will not be updated on a daily basis. It remains to be seen how grueling or not the classwork will be, but the time it takes to read a newspaper, find something interesting, write something about it, and then dig up a picture will most likely conflict with my new quest. As such, I hope to be posting at a minimum once a week and a maximum of three or four times. Bear with the irregularity, and you will likely be rewarded with witty commentary and inspirational photos. I felt an explanation necessary as to why, after six months of regular, daily posts, I will become irregular (and fat).

2 comments:

Jan said...

Congratulations on the decision to work on your MBA. Great choice! I will miss the daily blog but will defer my gratification for the better good.

dani said...

Congrats on going back to school. Should I lend you a pencil or an eraser?