Friday, March 14, 2008

Must see mascot brawling



I may have mentioned once that I don't care for Oral Roberts University. Ok twice. So maybe three times. Oh and then there was that one post titled Kinda Smells Like Urine.

As I left work yesterday, I found that Trampoline Bear quitter JR had given me a buzz. A return call was not met with a "hello" or a "how are you?" Rather, the ringing stopped and I was quickly informed, "There's video of Eli the Eagle fighting the IUPUI mascot."

I, of course, could not allow this occasion to pass without posting and mention. The above YouTube video covers the fight as well as comically interviewing a local mascot about the incident. I love sticking a microphone in the face of a man in a giant animal suit that is not able to talk. Great stuff.

Don't be fooled by the local feed or the edited clips, Eli the Eagle is completely to blame here. Word I have is that he shoplifted from a local Walgreens, snatched a ladies' purse, trampled small children, and punched a grandmother celebrating her 95th birthday right in the face. The IUPUI mascot was merely trying to avenge these wrongs and bring this villainous force to justice.

But before I could joyously leap to my computer and post this video clip, I happened upon another (and really there have to be hundreds of them) article blasting my least favorite Oklahoma University.

I'll link to it here, but I'll give you the highlights:

-Writer Steve Warden on the Oral Roberts cheerleaders:
"The word “classless” comes to mind."

-
Writer Steve Warden on Oral Roberts in general:
"No wonder several of the Summit League folks I’ve talked with don’t care for Oral Roberts."

-
Oakland women's basketball coach Beckie Francis on Oral Roberts University buying the rights to host the tournament and the obvious unfair advantage this creates:
"Quite frankly, I’m sick of being the No. 1 seed and playing on someone else’s court. Last year they closed the school and brought the entire town. It seems a little unfair, and maybe I shouldn’t be saying this, but it feels weird where you’re the No. 1 seed and you’re playing in someone’s backyard."

No, Coach Francis, it's okay. Everyone knows it, and everyone feels it. It's healthy to let it out. Oral Roberts University smells like poo.

3 comments:

CHCgirl said...

This is a fabulous post. The good news about ORU being in the tournament is I've always been impressed with Pitt's overall lack of class as well and since they have the talent advantage, I have no doubt that they will have a very ugly game at the expense of ORU. It will be the only time of the tournament (and in recent memory) where I will root (and enjoy) Pitt's win.

CHCgirl said...

I passed the clip around work as well as lectured them on the overall awfulness of oral roberts. And informed them of the existence of the "praying hands"
I think they thought I was insane.

lonewolf said...

Keep fighting the good fight.